Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Ups and Downs of Travel

My plane about to leave Charlottesville


Whew! I feel like the past week was a dream. Packing up my life in Charlottesville, flying to Atlanta to visit my good friend Laura and then coming home to Denver has all been very exciting but extremely exhausting. I thought I had made it through pretty seamlessly until yesterday afternoon when the world began to spin... Unfortunately, I've been hit by a terrible stomach flu and can't help but sit in bed and send out my SOS to the blogging world with of course some tips for travel that will help prevent  YOU from getting sick. I'm wishing right now that I had followed my own advice more closely but I suppose all that I can do to remedy the situation now is help my bloggies from getting sick during their summer travels.  Sitting in airplanes and coming in contact with so many people in crowded spaces during travel does expose you to a host of ailments so why not pack a cute little travel kit of goodies to prevent yourself from getting sick!
Here is what I suggest:

1. Emergen C- Yummy fizzy drink that comes in individual packets. When the stewardess comes around asking what you would like to drink, all you need is a glass of water! Dump it in and you'll be providing your body with some extra defense against oxidative stress of travel.



2. Green powder drink- There are a variety sold at natural grocers.   What I do is buy a big tub of it, pour some in a small container that travels well and drink a cup a day. When I'm traveling, it is hard for me to always get a good source of greens (especially at airports) but when I have a glass of green drink I know that I'm giving my body the next best thing which will help keep its defenses up.

3. Ginger! Ahhhh how I love ginger. Anyone who has known me for more than a day will attest to the fact that I simply cannot live without ginger. As someone who struggles with motion sickness, ginger has always been my best friend. It not only helps with any type of nausea (don't worry I'm eating it like crazy right now) but it also aids with digestion. Try to avoid getting the ginger that is LOADED with sugar. One of my favorite types of ginger is a "ginger chew" made by "the ginger people". Trader Joes also makes uncrystallized ginger which is simply DELICIOUS. 



4. Tea- When the stresses of travel are wearing on you, a glass of warm tea at the end of the day will soothe your body and mind. Make sure to sleep a lot pre and post travel as well. I find that having some tea packed reminds me to take good care of myself. My favorite kind of tea for soothing my mind is Rooibos. 

All 4 things can be packed quite neatly into a little zip lock baggie  and tucked in the side of your bag. I promise your body will thank you as you enjoy some healthy travels: ) 






No comments:

Post a Comment