Monday, August 22, 2011

Leftovers with a New Face....

This week I'm breaking my weekly meal ritual in order to do a bit of late summer leftover consumption.  I always cook a bit too much intentionally in order to freeze some for those days that my cooking inspirations/ingredients are missing. I've noticed recently however that my leftovers from my meals have started to accumulate and so this week I'm going to work on eating through at least two of them so that next week I can begin cooking with fall vegetables... my FAVORITE. 

At the farmer's market on saturday however I couldn't resist buying this cute little purple pepper. The vendor assured me that it was the sweetest variety of pepper so here's what I'm going to do with it....

Remember that paella I made at the beginning of the summer? I'm going to freshen it up with a fresh pepper and enjoy it for another week. 

I also think this week is a good time to mention how I meal plan. As you know by now, I always cook based on what is in season.  Picking a vegetable, like I have done all summer and making a BIG weekly meal out of it that will tide me over for the whole week (if not more, hence my freezer selection) is the start... but there's more to meal planning than that if you are going enjoy a full week of healthy, hand prepared meals simply.

Here's my basic strategy;
I pick 3 recipes to cook.

1. grain + seasonal vegetable (my sunday evening meal)
2. protein  + seasonal vegetable  (I usually make this on monday or tuesday)
3. breakfast grain (I'll be sharing my favorite breakfast recipe using any grain you like shortly)

I jot down the ingredients to those 3 recipes plus any staples I might be missing (like some extra fruits or veggies to munch on or my favorite nut butters) and then make the fun outing to the store. 
p.s can I just tell you how much I love grocery shopping? Its actually kind of silly how much I look forward to it.

Anyway, establishing this routine and sticking to this basic outline has kept me from spending too much money on eating out or eating junkie food out of hunger. I bring this up now because fall is a great time to start new habits and incorporate healthy routines into your life. Meal planning might be one you want to try. 

You'll find it is super simple if you cook each recipe for about 8 people and then eat it over the course of 2-3 meals and freeze leftovers. 

Next week I'll start zoning in on the fall produce that is beginning to arrive and I'll have my good friend and master chef Kelsey in town to help me brainstorm a DELICIOUS meal. 

Until then, have a wonderful week. Plan some meals for me: )



No comments:

Post a Comment