Monday, August 15, 2011

Sweet Butter Corn: Delicacy of Summer

I'm determined not to give in to the end of summer blues as I still have another month left at home.  I have to say, it is hard with all the school buses roaming the streets and the back to school ads permeating the media. One of the ways I've managed to keep my summer spirits high is by indulging in the amazing produce that is starting to finally arrive. Last week's tomatoes were sweet but nothing compared to the corn that I found this week. 5 ears of corn found its way into a delicious meal this week that I hope you'll try.

Seeing as corn is over used quite often in the U.S industry and can have some really nasty things done to it during its growth, I don't usually buy corn. But this week I found this cute stand at the farmers market that assured me that they follow organic standards and get this... my corn was picked that morning. *Big Smile*.



What's even more fun this week is that my friend from UVA is in town visiting so she helped me conjure up this weeks blog meal and it was a raging success. (Thanks to her of course!)

After we got the corn at the farmers market, we made a quick trip to the store and bought the following:

-Mushrooms (use whatever variety are locally supplied. Luckily for us, oyster had come from Ft. Collins)
-Marsala
-1/4 Red onion
-4-5 Green onions
-Cilantro
-garlic
-olive oil

I was putting together a little baguette crostini with roasted garlic and goat cheese while Emily busily worked away on the corn dish that was a modified version of Vegetarian Magazine's corn and mushroom stew.

Here's what she did...
1. Heat 2 T olive oil. Add chopped red and green onions.
2. Add chopped cilantro, 2 cloves of chopped garlic, and a little salt and pepper.
3. Add about 1 cup chopped mushrooms (as finely chopped as you like).
4. Add about 1 or 2 T marsala and saute briefly.
5. Add raw corn and mix until warm. (We used 4 ears of corn cut away from the cob)


It turned out so well that I forgot to take a picture before I gobbled it, the crostinis AND  a kabob of halibut down. Ps if you ever need amazing kabobs custom seasoned, whole foods is your place. The seafood man made us come killer kabobs that complimented the corn so nicely. Wish I had a picture to show you but you'll just have to trust me that it was so good I couldn't even stop to photograph the creation. I did however take a picture of the corn creation leftovers so that you know what ours basically looked like.




I'm glad our dinner turned out so well because it fueled us through a 2 hour hike up Mt. Sanitas in Boulder and a wonderful day of exploring Pearl St. Sigh.



Keep on enjoying summer!! (Its not over...)

No comments:

Post a Comment