Sunday, November 6, 2011

Vegetable of the week: Romanesco!!


Doesn't this look like a vegetable from outer space? My gosh, I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw it at the market this weekend and decided I HAD TO HAVE IT. What a fun seasonal vegetable! After doing a bit more research, here's what I found out about it:
Basically it is an edible flower that boasts the following




- Vitamin A

- Vitamin B1, Thiamin

- Vitamin B2, Riboflavin

- Vitamin B3, Niacin

- Vitamin B5, Pantothenic Acid

- Vitamin B6, Pyridoxine

- Vitamin B9, Folate

- Vitamin C

- Vitamin K

- Dietary Fiber

- Manganese

- Magnesium

- Protein

- Phosphorus

- Potassium

- Tryptophan

- Omega 3 Fatty Acids

Impressive eh?  One thing I've found when cooking romanesco is that it should only be cooked lightly or else its texture is ruined and its flavor tainted. 
Here's the big recipe that I am making this week substituting it for broccoli. http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/06/energizing-spicy-broccoli-dal/
If you see romanesco at the store grab some and either make this delicious dish or roast it lightly in the oven with some coconut oil and pepper!

No comments:

Post a Comment