Friday, December 16, 2011

Curried Carrot and Cauliflower Soup


I'm finally home for Christmas break and ready to get into a good routine of cooking that is sustainable throughout the upcoming quarter ahead.  Here's my proposal: 

Friday: Soup

Sunday: Hearty grain dish

Between the two big dishes I'll have at least a go to meal to turn to everyday and I can prepare short and sweet meals throughout the week as I juggle my classes.

In accordance with my proposal I made a soup tonight from the Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen Blog.  It turned out so well and was incredibly simple. The picture above basically captures all the ingredients needed.

INGREDIENTS:
2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
2 small onions (or 1 large one), chopped
1 to 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
4 to 5 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 pound carrots, peeled and chopped
1 medium head cauliflower, chopped
6 cups water
sea salt, to taste
coconut milk

DIRECTIONS
  1. Heat oil in a 6-quart pot over medium heat. Add onions and a dash of salt and cook until the onions are soft and starting to change color. Then add the ginger, garlic, and spices and saute a minute more
  2. Then add the carrots, cauliflower, and water. Simmer, covered, for about 25 minutes. Then puree in batches in a blender until smooth. Add salt to taste. Serve each bowl with a swirl of coconut milk.
  3. Enjoy!

I can't believe that this time last year I was madly taking biochemistry, dreaming about possibly attending Bastyr. Now that I've completed my first quarter at Bastry, there is so much I want to share but so much I have yet to learn about nutrition. Its exciting and overwhelming all at the same time. I'm hopeful that blogging the information will be helpful not only to reader but to me as I sort through the information and make it palatable to anyone who happens upon it. Nourishing the body with whole foods shouldn't be complicated and I'm determined to show everyone how it can be done: ) 

 

1 comment:

  1. ellie, this sounds delicious! thank you for sharing. hope to make it soon :)

    ReplyDelete