Sunday, December 18, 2011

Perfect Weather for some Chili Eh?

Even though the weather here in CO doesn't seem as cold as Seattle's when I left last week, I can't help but crave some warm, comforting chili. I found this simple recipe on one of my favorite blogs: Oh She Glows. Although she serves hers in pumpkins which is adorable, I made this in less than 20 minutes without the pumpkin and it is simply delicious. I doubled the recipe so that it will last me throughout the week and keep me nice and warm!


Here's my hearty recipe of the week:


Butternut squash black bean chili with kale...






Ingredients



  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

  • 2 1/2 cups chopped onions

  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped

  • 2 1/2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled butternut squash

  • 2 tablespoons chili powder

  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin

  • 3 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, drained

  • 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth

  • 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice

  • 1 bunch of kale (leaves torn off of stem into bite size pieces)


  • Instructions:


    1. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. 
    2. Add onions and garlic; sauté until tender and golden, about 9 minutes. 
    3. Add squash; stir 2 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cumin. 
    4. Stir in beans, broth, and tomatoes with juices; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until squash is tender, about 15 minutes. 
    5. Stir in kale; simmer until kale is tender but still bright green, about 4 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle chili into bowls and serve.

    The butternut squash is providing you with an excellent source of Vitamin A, the beans give you some great fiber and the kale is like eating nature's multivitamin. Enjoy!!

    1 comment:

    1. This looks so tasty...I'll make it tomorrow for the impending cold weather in Cville.

      ReplyDelete