Friday, September 23, 2011

The Little Things...

The entrance to my cute little house in Kirkland

It has officially been a week since I first arrived in the northwest. What a week! As hard as it is to leave behind a life of comfortable control, I've found that moving urges me to redefine myself, my values and ultimately what makes me happy. Before arriving in Seattle, I made a list of the top 4 simple things that make me happy so that I could make sure to instill them here.  I suggest this to anyone even if you aren't about to move. Have you ever asked yourself what little things make you happy?

Here are mine:
1. Fresh Local Food- I have to live by a farmers market or a grocery that provides it. Luckily, I have both here. Two farmers markets a week and a cute natural grocer (that I might actually apply to work for)!
PCC Natural Grocer near my house



2. Nature trails:  I need a dense patch of nature that I can walk to from where I live- Its easy to loose touch with nature if you have to drive a distance to be immersed in it right? Conveniently located across the street from me is a trail. My roommate even has a dog she lets me borrow for company: ) Oh and the path leads down to the lake where I can set up picnics. Side note but still note worthy...
Trail Across the Street
Jovi

Picnic Area that looks out over Lake Washington

























3. A local yoga studio: Have a mentioned that I've fallen in love with yoga? It not only centers my mind, it stretches my body into alignment and forces me to breath. Its a need in my life. I have yet to find a studio that makes me feel at home but I'm going to my first class at Studio Be in downtown kirkland today. We'll see if its "the one".

4. Routine: I THRIVE off of routine. I love the familiarity of it and the rhythm that it creates in my life. That being said I have already incorporated a few routines, one of which will directly affect my blog: my meal planning/cooking routine. I will plan on Sunday Soups, a hearty meat or bean dish on Tuesdays and something yummy baked on Friday. Friday I don't have class so it will be a good day for me to experiment with various baking techniques and mediums.  Besides those three consistent food postings, I'll try my best to incorporate little health tips that I find along the way.

Alas, as hard as I have tried to incorporate familiar and pleasant things into my life, there are a few things that I will take time for me to adapt to as they are still very unfamiliar to me:

1. There are drive-through espresso house/shack looking things on EVERY corner.


2. Nothing ever dries here. (ever). Good for skin. Bad for moldy bathrooms.

3. I have to bike uphill wherever I go. It still doesn't make sense to me how that is possible but it is. Hazards of living on a big surrounded by hills I suppose...

4. Everyone complains about the weather. I somehow assumed that everyone would be used to cloudy/rainy days after living here. Or maybe I'm just not used to people complaining about weather since CO weather is nothing to complain about!

Well that's all that I have for this week in a nutshell. Look forward to this sunday when I'll be making a Cauliflower Soup! Today I'm riding my pretty little bike (uphill) to the grocery store to get all the ingredients. Maybe I'll stop by an espresso shack for sustenance and talk to the server about the weather. Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment