Friday, September 16, 2011

Weathering a transition with health and nutrition


As many know, I am moving to Seattle to study nutrition at Bastyr University. I've enjoyed a wonderful summer living in my parent's cottage, caring for our horses and preparing yummy food but today is the big move.  I'm the type of person who likes to feel settled and have a place to call home for more than a few months at time. Obviously, this season of my life does not offer such settlement but instead it hosts big life transitions that I've just recently been learning to weather gracefully. My words of advice?

Begin by taking some time for yourself to mentally prepare and breath. I've instilled a wonderful habit of waking up every morning and taking 4 deep breaths while setting an intention for the day. Starting the morning with this mindfulness practice is what I will continue during the transition which will hopefully instill a sense of peace and familiarity as I embark upon days full of the unknown.


Next make sure to schedule into each day a block of time devoted to movement. Whether it be a short walk, a bike ride, or if you can a yoga class, your body craves a chance to let out all of the nervous tension that builds up during a move.  It might be hard to follow your former routines during the midst of the transition period but regardless, stick to something daily.

As you might of guessed, my favorite words of advice are to eat healthfully. Feed your body the fuel it needs to cope with all the new environments and emotions. My rule of thumb during a move where I'm not in control of what is in my fridge or where I will be eating out is to at least incorporate something green into every meal. Whether that be a powder green drink or a fresh green salad, I just do my best. Your body will be able to put up a much better fight against the toxins it encounters if it has the nutritional support and antioxidants it needs to defend itself.

And finally, sleep.  I tend to trade in the precious commodity for extra hours packing or saying goodbye to friends but always suffer the consequences when my perspective on things become squirrelly. Sleep heals and protects  our bodies while renewing  our minds. Best of all its free! Why don't we indulge in it more often? No drug on the market can target and heal all the areas that sleep does (with no side effects but happiness and peace might I add). Anyway, I struggle with getting enough myself but you can be assured that I will be hitting my (new) bed hard tonight as today has much to offer.

I literally just landed in Seattle and am about to meet my new roommate since she is picking me up from the airport. Once I get back to my new house, I'll try to honor my own advice and pick up some healthy food and then sleep so that I can begin to unpack in the morning: )


So. Long story short: Next time your life feels like this.....


Grab a pair of these:



Eat some of this:



and then get some sleep....



You'll be just fine!

Once I'm settled in my house I'll be posting weekly meals and simple tips for living healthfully throughout the week. I'll also try to document the adventures and fun that I experience along the way.

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts Ellie! I love the blog. I will be following now that I know you are a fellow blogger. Click over to mine sometime and catch up on what the kids are up to...
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete