Friday, September 30, 2011

Hearty Meal of the Week: Warm Chickpea and Chard Ragout

A little turtle I found on campus yesterday!

My first week of classes was exciting but incredibly exhausting. Sometimes I forget how much energy I expend just by sitting in class trying to absorb so much information! It also takes me a while to get used to a new schedule, routine and pace that school automatically infuses into my life. All that being said, I have no doubt that I am exactly where I am meant to be and all that I am learning will someday directly benefit my practice and anyone who seeks my help.

With the lifestyle adjustments that I was making this week I didn't post what I cooked on Tuesday which was a great chickpea ragout that has swiss chard and tomatoes. I found the recipe in my vegetarian times cookbook and it was the perfect lunch to pack as it gave me alot of protein AND some greens.

Here s all I needed:
coconut oil for sauteing
a bunch of carrots
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 15 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes
1 bunch of swiss chard
1/2 cup vegetable stock
2 cans of chickpeas
Harissa: which is comprised of the following
-3 cloves of garlic minced
-1/2 teaspoon of salt
-2tablespoons olive oil
-1 teaspoon ground coriander
-1/2 teaspoon cumin



The simple preparation:
1. Saute the carrots, onion and garlic in coconut oil
2. Add white whine and harissa. Cook until the liquid is mostly gone
3. Add tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes
4. Add chard and vegetable stock
5. Stir in chickpeas and simmer for 3-5 more minutes
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to share but to be perfectly honest the dish tasted better than it looked so maybe its a good thing I spaced it.

I doooo however have a picture of a beautiful lookout point that I found as I've been exploring my neighborhood.



I'm sure I'll be spending lots of time here: )


So far I've been able to easily access all 4 of the things that I mentioned in my last blog that make me happy!

Oh and I joined a little masters swimming club which gets me back in the water and surrounded by some like minded people: )
Alrighty I'm off to ride my bike to the nearby natural grocer to get the ingredients for some no bake millet treats. Its a beautiful sunny day and I plan to soak up every ray before the liquid sunshine begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment