Monday, July 11, 2011

Impressive Shiitakes

This week as I strolled through the farmers market, I could not help but stop dead in my tracks when I saw the mushrooms stand. As a little girl, I didn't care much for mushrooms as the silly shapes and odd textures were enough to keep me at an arms length distance.  Now, just the smell of mushrooms makes my mouth water because I have finally discovered how to cook them! At the farmers market stand I chose shiitakes because of their immunity boosting effect on health. When I got back I decided to do a little more research and found that they do so much more....

Besides their anti-viral, immune boosting properties, mushrooms provide high levels of protein (18%), potassium, niacin and B vitamins, calcium magnesium and phosphorus. This is perfect for someone like me who doesn't eat much meat throughout the week. Substituting delicious mushrooms in for my daily protein intake is perfect. Just be careful when you buy mushrooms because they do clean the air so if they are grown in a toxic environment, you are eating those toxins. I always ask when I buy mushrooms if they are organic and where they are grown.

This week I made mushroom goat cheese and spinach wraps. I bought more than enough mushrooms and sauteed them all, planning on using the leftovers for other meals throughout the week.

Remember, cooking a big meal at the beginning of the week is a great way to save money, time, and plan efficiently. Another big meal cooked half way through the week is a great way to complement the first and add some variety.
Here's what I did with my yummy shiitakes.

1. Sauteed them in a little bit of olive oil and garlic until they were quite soft and juicy.


2. Placed them in a whole wheat tortilla with a slice of raw goat cheese on top and threw it in the oven (preheated at 400) for just a few minutes to let the cheese melt
3. Then I added spinach and rolled it all up into a tasty mushroom melt wrap. YUMMMMM.

P.S whole foods sells some amazing mushroom chips that I served on the side. Warning: they are completely and utterly addicting. I definitely over indulged...


What is your favorite variety of Mushroom?



1 comment:

  1. ELLIE!! I just found this blog via Facebook (creepy, I know), but I am LOVING it! Unfortunately I do not like mushrooms at all, unless they're stuffed with gooey cheese and some bacon and served on cocktail napkins from handsome waiters. But, I will be anxiously awaiting your next veggie of choice--right now I'm on a kale kick :). Hope all is well and I can't wait to hear about your Bastyr adventures on here in the near future! xoxo, Jen

    ReplyDelete