Friday, July 22, 2011

Local Love

So far, I've raved about eating food that is in season and now I want to introduce a new concept that I think is just as important: eating LOCALLY. Do you take the time to know where your food comes from? If it isn't transported across long distances, chances are that it is more nutritious since its nutrients are still alive. Eating food that is in season goes hand in hand with eating locally because local food is obviously in season. Simple!

Beyond the realms of produce, it is also important to keep your eye out for the local food makers. For instance, if you like granola bars, have you taken the time to check out if there are any that are made locally? In my mind its worth the effort to seek out the local producers in order to know who your hard-earned money is supporting. SInce I've been back in Denver, I've put together a list of a few of my favorite locally made foods besides the yummy local produce that I get at the farmers market.
Here the beginning but I will continue to add as I find more...

Lara Bars. Just a few ingredients come together to make this bar into a super yummy snack. My favorite flavor is the apple pie!


Justin's Nut Butters: Nuts are one of my favorite snacks ever and nut butter is such a miracle spread. These are made in Boulder,CO and I love the little packets that he has created so that I can take nut butter with me on the run...

Chocolove Bars: Who doesn't love a little square of chocolate for dessert? Chocolove makers know me too well as they have a bar infused with ginger! Needless to say I always have one of these little guys on hand in my fridge and treat myself frequently. 

Take some time to check out the local food scene in your area. You'll have fun exploring what options your creative neighbors have provided you with and knowing that your money is staying local will be an added perk.

What is your favorite local food??

No comments:

Post a Comment