Monday, July 25, 2011

Simmering Summer Squash Soup

Yesterday I went to this adorable farmer's market in Denver on my favorite street Pearl. It doesn't boast very much produce because it brings in lots of artisans and baked goods. Needless to say, samples abound and I love the feeling I get as I am surrounded by happy families, their kids and of course their dogs. So fun. I miss the community of Charlottesville so much but try to attend as many events like this in Denver. Doing so reminds me that you can join a community of people that enjoy the same things anywhere you go. Looking forward to joining the local food community in Seattle shortly! 

Anyway, I did happen to find a little stand that was selling some beautiful summer squash which inspired this week's meal. I am actually really excited to share with you what I came up with as I think it was a big success. 

Here's your grocery list for the recipe:
-3-4 summer squash (chopped)
-1 large sweet potato (chopped into little cubes)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
-2 shallots (chopped finely)
-red thai curry paste ( found it in whole foods )
- 2 C low sodium vegetable broth
-1 can coconut milk
-unrefined organic coconut oil

First, heat 1.5 T of red thai curry paste with 2 T of coconut oil. 

Once it becomes fragrant add 3 cloves of garlic and the shallots. 

When the shallots are soft, add the yellow squash and the potato. 

Once the squash is soft add the vegetable broth and coconut milk. 

Boil for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. At this point your soup should look like this:

If so, take a quick taste test and make sure you don't want to add more red thai curry paste. If not, your soup is ready to be blended with either a hand immersion blender or in a regular blender like did. Garnish how you like and vuala!  You now have a meal to eat through for the rest of the week that can be enjoyed hot or cold. 


Summer squash is a great source of anti-inflammatory Omega 3s which is great for this time of year when we tend to be more active and put more stress on our bodies. Eat up and enjoy the cooling effect: )


1 comment:

  1. I'm assuming that this will work with winter squash too, right? Loving these recipes. I can't wait to get some winter recipes.

    ReplyDelete